HTML

Friday, January 22, 2010

Ravioli!

Last weekend we packed up the kids and headed over to my parents to make homemade ravioli.  We used my Great Grandma Jessie’s recipe (along with her ravioli rolling pin) and got to work bright and early…after our Starbucks, of course :)

Ravioli Dough

This homemade ravioli is one of my all-time favorites but, as you can imagine, it’s an all day process to make it!  This was the first time my sister and I have been there to help my mom make it - it was such a fun day and we learned a lot!

I have many wonderful memories of my Great-Grandma and I wish that Erik and the girls had been able to meet her.

Here’s a picture of me and Tricia with Grandma Jessie from 1991.  scan0004

And also an old one of Grandma cookingscan0019

We started by making the pastry dough…

Ravioli Making 001

and the ravioli filling                                                                    (hamburger, sausage, spinach, ricotta, parmesan, garlic, celery)DSC00276

Then we rolled the dough out, spread the filling on top, and covered it with another piece of doughDSC00268

 

Then we rolled over it with the ravioli pinRavioli Making 004

And then used a pastry sealer and cutter to separate the ravioliRavioli Making 005

Addison had a blast ‘helping’ us tooDSC00279DSC00278 Yes…she’s wearing dress up clothes.  It’s been impossible to get her to wear ‘regular’ clothes for the past few weeks!

DSC00282 Erik even got in on the fun :)

 

While we were all working hard in the kitchen my dad was on Grandpa duty with Sophie.  They had fun catching up on reality TV…Ravioli Making 003

and taking a nap.  Oh wait, that was just Grandpa sleeping…who’s watching Sophie??? :)

Either way, Sophie had a fun day too!

That night we enjoyed our ravioli for dinner - and we were able to bag and freeze a ton to enjoy the rest of the year :)  Of course Erik and I have already eaten the stash we brought home…but we were able to share it with Erik’s parents, Dave and Denise, who were up for a visit this week. 

I’m so glad I was able to learn to make this special family recipe.  And thanks to Erik, I’m now the proud owner of my very own ravioli pin … I guess that means he wants me to make ravioli more often?? :)

I’ll end with a quick video of Addison making her ‘ravioli’.  Like many other things she says, she has a special way to pronounce it!

2 comments:

Nikki said...

What an awesome post! (And that ravioli looks amazing) you guys are too cute.

Stef B said...

What a great post, Denise! I can definitely see the family resemblance with your great grandma (was she your dad's grandmother?). And it's so special that you have such great family memories to accompany the meal.